In today’s time, diabetes patient needs glucose monitors which he/she must search to find the best one. Here I am giving you the top 8 best self-monitoring blood glucose monitors or meters with key features and their comparison table. If you don’t know which one is best for you check out here to check whether a Self-monitoring glucose monitor or a Continuous glucose monitor is best for you.
Are you in a Hurry…
If you are in a hurry check this comparison of glucose meters and choose from the table according to your needs. If you still need assistance then we will recommend you to buy CareSens N Diabetes Testing Kit or Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter. Because the CareSens N Diabetes Testing Kit provides 100 test strips, 100 lancets, a control solution, and customer support from 9AM ~ to 6PM EST which means it includes all the things which are provided by different brands separately. However, Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter gives the best results according to consumer reports best glucose meter.
But before this can you tell us how a blood glucose monitor works?
This is a good question. Here are the details of how a blood glucose monitor or meter works. Most glucose meters are based on electrochemical technology.
- The test strip of the glucometer has three layers. The outer layer is made of polycarbonate which only detects the glucose present in the test sample and ignores the other components of the blood i.e proteins, salts, etc.
- The middle layer is coated with an enzyme called glucose oxidase.
- Glucose oxidase is an enzyme that catalyzes the oxidation of glucose into hydrogen peroxide and D-glucono-I,5-lactone.
- When the strip is connected to a glucose meter and the blood sample is put on the strip, the strip glucose oxidase reacts with the glucose of the sample and forms an acid called gluconic acid.
- The gluconic acid then reacts with another chemical called ferrocyanide present in the strip to form ferrocyanide. Ferrocyanide is an anion that is commonly used as an anti-caking agent.
- The ferrocyanide then combines with the electrodes present in the strips. After this, the meter is activated and gives a current to the test strip due to which the electrons move in the circuit and display the value on the screen. The current produces is directly proportional to the amount of glucose in the sample of the blood on the strip.
- The temperature greatly affects the reaction so an ambient temperature measurement is also installed in the glucose meter system to compensate for the effect of the temperature on the rate of reaction.
- In this way, the concentration of glucose in the blood is measured.
There is a question, do you know what factors affect the glucose measurement on a glucometer?
No, let me tell you.
The factors that affect the measurement of the glucose monitor are:
- Altitude (At higher altitudes body may produce stress hormones that can raise the blood glucose so your glucometer can give you different reading.)
- Dirt, alcohol, or sweet (sugar) on the fingers (Wash your hands thoroughly before pricking.)
- Strips problem (Keep your strips at room temperature)
- Monitor Problem (Check the batteries of your monitor regularly and during using a glucometer, make sure the strips are fully inserted.)
- Anemia (if your RBCs count is less, then your glucose monitor can give you inaccurate results.)
- High temperature
- Inaccurate method of measurement.
Buyer guides while buying a self-monitoring glucose monitor:
While buying a self-monitor blood glucose monitor or meter system you should check the following features.
Select the glucose meter which gives you the results in as little as 5 seconds.
Usually, most self-monitoring glucose monitors require manual coding. Automatic coding requires no calibrating and setting for each new test strip.
Voice telling for vision-impaired people:
The display should be clear and easy to read and if you are vision-impaired then look for the voice telling feature in the glucose meter.
Memory storage and their retrieval:
Data storage and their retrieval is another important feature while buying glucose monitors. The monitors which can track the time and date of results are beneficial because they will trend your glucose level in a different intervals of time.
Ease of transport:
Ease of transport should be looked at because patients need a glucose meter any time while traveling or moving somewhere.
The glucose monitor doesn’t fall costly but the test strips can make a burden on your picket so look at the test strips while buying.
After checking all features the most important thing is to check the reviews of the customers this will help a lot in decision making. There is no self-glucose monitor or any other product whose reviews and ratings are 100% so there will be negative reviews and ratings which you should ignore after you got an idea that the product is reviewed well by other customers because if you will look at one or two or three reviews then you will never find a single glucose meter for yourself. You can check the reviews in beginning or at the end of the product features.
Also, look at the number of ratings and reviews because if there are many reviews it means people are using it and giving their results but fewer reviews don’t mean that the product is not good.
Here I am trying to give you the list of the best self-monitoring glucose meters which is reviewed 4 or 4+ by the customers in the top review section. One, two reviews of 1 or 2-star reviews don’t matter if present.
Now it’s the time to list best the self-monitoring glucose meters.
This best blood glucose monitoring system kit contains:
- 100 blood test strips
- lancing device
- 30 gauge lancets 100 count
- And carrying case.
- no code glucose meters.
Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter is an advanced glucose meter that takes the position of Ist because the star ratings are good about this and their reviews were very high i.e about 21,595 means that the people are using it and giving their results, though customer support and control solution is not provided by the provider but the number of lancets and test strips is good which is 100, 100 each.
- Blood Glucose Meter with Lancing Device
- 100 Test Strips
- 100 Lancets
- Large LCD Display
DKK blood glucose monitor holds the second position on the list. The number of strips and lancets is 100, 100 each, also the control solution is included in the kit.
- Blood Glucose Meter
- 10 Blood Test Strips
- 1 Lancing Device
- 30g Lancets, Control Solution
- Carrying Case
- Log Book
On Call Express Diabetes Testing Kit- Blood Glucose Meter has got the 3rd position. The number of strips and lancets is very less which is 10, 10 each but here one thing is praiseworthiness that it provides 24/7 customer support so if you have a problem just contact them and they will solve it for you. The control solution is provided with the kit.
- One Bluetooth meter
- 100 test strips
- 100 O’WELL Lancets
- O’WELL Lancing Device
- User Manual & Carry Case
Contour Next ONE Blood Glucose Kit accuracy stands 4th on the list. The number of lancets and strips is 100, 100 each. The lancing device and test strips are from O’WELL. The control solution and support are not provided.
- One glucose meter
- Free App (sync to its companion diabetes manager)
- 100 Glucose Test Strips
- 1 Control Solution
- Lancing Device
- 100 Lancets (30G)
- 1 Case
CareSens N Diabetes Testing Kit has 100 lancets and 100 test strips. The control solution is also included and customer support is provided from 9AM ~ to 6PM EST.
- One meter
- 100 sterile strips
- 100 lancets
- One control solution
TRUE METRIX® Meter Starter Kit is provided with 100 sterile strips and 100 lancets. The control solution is included in the kit but customer support is not provided.
- NFC Enabled Connect with CUROfit App on iOS & Android Devices
- Blood Sugar Monitor Device
- 60 Strips
- 60 Lancets
CURO G10 Glucose Home Test Kit contains 60 strips and 60 lancets. The control solution and customer support are not provided.
- 25 test strips
- 10 Sterile lancets (iPhone Lightning)
Blood Glucose Monitor Kit is for iPhone users and is compatible with iOS phones 5s, SE, 6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, SE 2020, 12, 12 Mini, 12 Pro Max. iOS Operating System: iOS 12, 13, 14. Application version – 5.1.1. The company claims “Please check your phone compatibility before ordering” and if you are unsure about your phone compatibility then contact them and they will assist you. The kit contains 25 strips and 10 lancets. The control solution and customer support are not provided.
Glucose meters comparison Table
|SiteStripe Image||Title||No. of Strips||No. of Lancets||Control Solution||Customer Support||Buy|
|Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter||100||100||Not Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
|DKK blood glucose monitor||100||100||Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
|On Call Express Diabetes Testing Kit||10||10||Included||Provided (24/7)||Buy Now|
|Contour Next ONE Blood Glucose Kit||100||100 (O'WELL Lancets)||Not Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
|CareSens N Plus Bluetooth Blood Diabetes Monitoring Kit||100||100||Included||Provided (9AM ~ 6PM EST)||Buy Now|
|TRUE METRIX® Meter Starter Kit||100||100||Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
|CURO G10 Glucose Home Test Kit||60||60||Not Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
|DARIO Blood Glucose Monitor Kit||25||10||Not Included||Not Provided||Buy Now|
Now which glucose meter is best and which one is the most accurate blood glucometer?
In conclusion, we concluded that every glucometer system has its own benefits. If lancets and strips are important for you and you want more then you can buy them from the list and if you want to buy a meter system that provides you a 24/7 support system then you can also find them in the list. If you ask me best self-monitoring blood glucose monitors then I will like CareSens N Diabetes Testing Kit and Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter. Because the CareSens N Diabetes Testing Kit provides 100 test strips, 100 lancets, a control solution, and customer support from 9AM ~ to 6PM EST which means it includes all the things which are provided by different brands separately. However, Care Touch Blood Glucose Meter gives the best results reviewed shown by the customers. I would like you to take a look at the glucose comparison table and choose from it according to your needs.